Assessing the Impact of #BigData IBMdatamag.com

Posted by Kim May on April 9, 2013 under Authorized Training Partner, Big Data, BigInsights, DB2 Education, DB2 for Linux Unix Windows, DB2 for z/OS, Hadoop, IBM Champion, IBM DB2 Services, IBM Information Management Software Sales, InfoSphere Streams. Tags: , .

A couple months ago I was the lucky winner of an IBM contest for Information Management Business Partners.  The prize was space in the IBM Data Management magazine (now online at www.ibmdatamag.com) and assistance writing an article on a topic of interest.  The article is being published today and can be viewed here.

As The Fillmore Group was recently asked to begin delivering IBM Authorized Education on IBM’s big data solutions, BigInsights and InfoSphere Streams, we decided to leverage the article to promote our upcoming classes.

There is always terrific content in the magazine.  I hope you enjoy the article and consider taking a formal class to learn more about IBM’s big data solutions.

Cinghiale DB2 101 Thursday

Posted by Kim May on April 9, 2013 under Big Data, BLU Acceleration, DB2 Education, DB2 for Linux Unix Windows, DB2 for z/OS, DB2 Gold Consultants, DB2 Migrations, Frank Fillmore, Hadoop, IBM Champion, IBM DB2 Services, IBM Information Management Software Sales, IBM Mid Market Customers, IBM Pure Systems, IDAA, Netezza, pureScale, TFG Blog. Tags: , , , , , .

Frank is putting the final touches on his DB2 101 presentation for Thursday, incorporating last week’s Big Data announcements from IBM (great stuff; visit the IBM Big Data Hub to learn more) along with his fast-paced presentation on the solutions in the IBM Information Management portfolio.  We are expecting a great turnout but as always, we are happy to make room for more.  If you are in the Baltimore area and interested in joining us, please read my post on the event here, register here and join us.

Big Data Forum in Virginia

Posted by Kim May on March 11, 2013 under Big Data, Frank Fillmore, IBM Information Management Software Sales, IBM Pure Systems, Netezza, Optim, TFG Blog. Tags: , , , , , , .

I had the pleasure of attending and participating as a Business Partner in the IBM Big Data and Governance Forum road show event in Reston, Virginia, last week.  Many of the attendees were from Federal government agencies – no surprise – and most of the attendees, at least in my opinion, seemed to be trying to satisfy their curiosity about  Big Data. 

The first session presenter was Tracey Mustacchio, the Director of Marketing for Big Data.  Tracey came to IBM from Vivisimo, one of the latest IBM Information Management acquisitions.  She started her session with a standard show of hands opening.  The amazing thing was, with about 100 people in the room, only THREE were actually using any Big Data solutions in their IT shops.  3%!!  That meant – with the simplistic way I do math –  the other 97% of the attendees were, like me, still trying to figure out how to apply this new technology.  And of course, overcome the skepticism that comes from hearing a solution referred to as a “game changer” a few too many times.

The information delivered was excellent, with the presenters using clear, understandable business use case examples to demonstrate the Big Data solutions at work.  I thought it was great. 

As a Business Partner The Fillmore Group raffled off the gorgeous, huge coffee table book, “The Human Side of Big Data”, by Rick Smolan and Jennifer Erwitt.  After reading a glowing review I bought the book about a month ago for myself, and while I am bit overwhelmed by the book’s size (did I mention it’s huge?) which made it impossible to stuff in my laptop bag like my Kindle, it is simply beautiful and the perfect way to get excited about the potential of Big Data.  Each article is short – maximum length 2 pages – and tells about how Big Data has changed the way people are doing something.  And yes IBM fans, page 208 features Jeff Jonas.  Because what book about Big Data could leave out Jeff Jonas and his fascinating life and experience developing the IBM Entity Analytics solutions.

The forum delivered lots of great ideas and use cases.  It’s time to start moving beyond the ideas.  We all need to figure out how to apply this amazing technology and reap the benefits!  The next step, recommended by IBM’s Crysta Anderson, is to attend the IBM Big Data announcement on April 30th:   http://ibm.co/BigDataEvent to hear more about how you can move from theory to practice with Big Data.